From an article by Bronnie Ware, which is now a book. Please check out the link for more information about the writer. I believe that the patient’s she had experience with were dying of old age, so they were raised in a very different time and culture. That said, I still believe that everyone can benefit from their message.
1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
An important question to ask yourself periodically…If I knew that I only had a year left to live, what would I do with that time? If you have never considered this, I encourage you to start now. What would you do differently if you knew that your time was (severely) limited? Who would you call? Would you travel? Write that memoir? Treat your family differently?
If you knew that your spouse, partner, child, parent, best friend, would be gone in 6 months? What would you say to them?
Do these things now, because life often takes unexpected turns.