Mama Carrie Makes


Friday Craft, Birdie Birthday Pop Up Box Card

A pop up box card for my niece’s birthday.

I used the Tim Holtz Wildflowers die set to cut the flowers out of white cardstock and then color them with my alcohol markers. The birds are from the Tim Holtz mini Crazy Birds set, also colored with alcohol markers. The balloon dies are a mystery, colored using Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks. And the letters for happy are also Lawn Fawn, left white to stand out amongst all the color.

The outside of the box is covered with Tim Holtz Melange tissue paper.


(See also: Pop-up Box Card and Galaxy Pop-up Box Card)



Friday Craft, Stamping Text

I’ve been exploring two alphabet stamp sets from my stash, one from Tim Holtz called Mini Worn Text and a new one from Concord & 9th called Sophisticated Script.

These two are quite different and great to have for cards, art journal spreads, and scrapbooking.

The Tim Holtz set is quite blocky and imperfect. Large and bold, able to stand out on an art journal spread but also usable for a one word card sentiment.

The Concord & 9th set is beautiful script that connect together to give the impression of handwritten calligraphy or brush lettering.


Friday Craft, Watercolor Dahlias

Orange Watercolor Dahlias

Ahhh. So relaxing and so easy to do. Stamp your favorite image (these are flowers from Stampendous called Flower Garden). Smoosh your distress ink colors onto a palette (I use a laminated piece of cardstock. Any non-porous surface will do), get your paintbrush wet and go. I used yellow to underpaint before adding color to the blooms and really love how they seem to be glowing.

Orange Watercolor Dahlias

You really could apply any sentiment to this card. A little fishtail and your done. Easy peasy.



Friday Craft, Art Journal 05

Another page from my first art journal. Stamps and embossing and watercolors, oh my!


I purchased these Tim Holtz flower stamps on sale (along with the Crazy Birds set) and was compelled to watercolor them after using some embossing powder to create a resist.

It was as much fun as you suspect. I embossed the flowers first, then I could place the stems and brush away the powder where they overlapped. Then it was all watercolor bliss. I put down the yellows first, then came back in with the blues and reds.

For the orange flower, I tried using my darkest red color first, then I sort of scrubbed in the lighter orange and yellow towards the bottom. I love how it turned out.

To finish it up, I mixed ultramarine and umber to get a kind of payne’s gray, and I watered that down and put it in the bottom left area to give the impression of shadow.

I’m so impressed with myself. I know I’ll use this technique again.


Episode 1   |   Episode 2   |   Episode 3   |   Episode 4