A pop up box card for my niece’s birthday.
I used the Tim Holtz Wildflowers die set to cut the flowers out of white cardstock and then color them with my alcohol markers. The birds are from the Tim Holtz mini Crazy Birds set, also colored with alcohol markers. The balloon dies are a mystery, colored using Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks. And the letters for happy are also Lawn Fawn, left white to stand out amongst all the color.
The outside of the box is covered with Tim Holtz Melange tissue paper.
A few months ago I purchased the Lawn Fawn Pop-up Box Card die set and I’ve been having fun with it ever since.
This experiment is inspired by many upon many YouTube videos and Pinterest posts, using the Lawn Fawn Out of This World stamp set.
I started by creating a galaxy background using Tim Holtz Distress inks.
Step one: You can use any combination of colors for this ‘under-inking’ but bright colors are great to use as they will really shine through once you’ve covered them up with the space colors of the background. For this I used Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed, Mermaid Lagoon, and Dusty Concord. Create big patches of the colors, using a heavy hand to get a really bright patch.
Step two: Using your dark blue, cover up what you just created. This part is painful, but the result is worth it.
Step three: Now use Black Soot to cover up even more of your lovely colors. This is where the galaxy really starts to take shape.
Step four: Now use gesso or white acrylic paint, thinned with water, to make star splashes.
I had stamped and colored my images using my alcohol markers before making my backgrounds, so assembling the card itself didn’t take very long. I used black cardstock to cut out the pop-up box card shapes, then adhered the galaxy background pieces to the inside flaps that would show.
I used acrylic strips (cut from used packaging that I saved for this purpose) to make the pieces float in space.
I find my biggest issue with the pop-up box cards is using too many images. I think this card would have been even better with some editing.
What do you think?
I bought a new die that cuts out a frame in the shape of a Polaroid picture, and you know I had to cut out 3 dozen and make a batch!
I glued 4 of the frames together to give them more stability and dimension. This was a great exercise in creating a scene, with such a small space to work with, I had to get creative with masking on a few of them.
Then I used by Spectrum Noir markers to color the scenes. I think the gnome scene is my favorite from this series. What I didn’t realize in my joyful frenzy of stamping is that these are not squares, so my edges did not fit perfectly back into the frames. Ah well, lesson learned.
I also used my color pencils for a few, to try out the technique using Gamsol to blend. I’m thinking that I will need a better quality pencil for that technique to work well…
I just realized that I don’t have a picture of the finished set! I will upload that before publishing, or post an update.
I also used their Grassy Border Lawn Cuts die to make the grass for each section. I started by making myself a coloring page, used my Spectrum Noir markers to color all the images and then die cut them out so I had more that I would need. I cut the box card from kraft cardstock and assembled it with 4 levels. Placing and assembling all the parts was a lot of fun and a lot of work. I didn’t have a plan before I began, so my next card may not be as time-consuming.
Stay tuned for a tutorial/process post.